By Don S. Browning, Bonnie J. Miller-McLemore
Non secular traditions play a significant position within the lives of many American kids. during this selection of essays, best students demonstrate for the 1st time how a number of religions interpret, reconstruct, and mediate their traditions to assist consultant young children and their mom and dad in navigating the possibilities and demanding situations of yankee lifestyles. The e-book examines ten religions, between different issues. purely via discussing the original demanding situations confronted via all religions, and their fans, do we take step one towards a better figuring out for we all.
Read Online or Download Children and Childhood in American Religions (The Rutgers Series in Childhood Studies) PDF
Best children's studies books
In fall 1999, the dep. of Education's place of work of academic examine and development (OERI) requested RAND to envision how OERI may possibly enhance thequality and relevance of the schooling examine it money. The RAND studying learn staff (RRSG) used to be charged with constructing a examine framework to handle the main urgent concerns in literacy.
An exploration of the way problems with race and ethnicity play out in a electronic media panorama that comes with MySpace, post-9/11 politics, MMOGs, net song distribution, and the electronic divide.
The Australian state woman: background, photo, adventure deals an in depth research of the adventure and similar to Australian nation girlhood. In Australia, 'country woman' names a box of stories and life-stories through women and girls who've grown up outdoor of the demographically dominant city centres.
In a well timed contribution to present debates over the psychology of boys and the development in their social lives, On My Honor explores the people customs of adolescent men within the Boy Scouts of the United States in the course of a summer season encampment in California's Sierra Nevada. Drawing on greater than 20 years of analysis and vast visits and interviews with contributors of the troop, Mechling uncovers the main rituals and play occasions in which the Boy Scouts shapes boys into males.
- What Happened to the Children Who Fled Nazi Persecution
- Out of harm's way : creating an effective child welfare system
- Understanding Sex and Relationship Education, Youth and Class: A Youth Work-Led Approach
- Living the Drama: Community, Conflict, and Culture among Inner-City Boys
Additional info for Children and Childhood in American Religions (The Rutgers Series in Childhood Studies)
Nurturing Child and Adolescent Spirituality. 26. Stanton L. Jones, “A Constructive Relationship for Religion with the Science and Profession of Psychology: Perhaps the Boldest Model Yet,” American Psychologist 9, no. 3 (199): 18–199. 27. Ann Hulbert, Raising America: Experts, Parents, and a Century of Advice about Children (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2003), 1. 28. Smith and Denton, Soul Searching, 20. 29. See Miller-McLemore, In the Midst of Chaos. 30. Alan Cole, “Buddhism,” in Sex, Marriage, and Family in the World Religions, ed.
Wilde, “The Demographic Imperative in Religious Change in the United States,” American Journal of Sociology 107 (September 2001): 68–500. For a good overview of current debate, see James A. ” Books and Culture, May 1, 200. 13. Horace Bushnell, Christian Nurture (New York: Charles Scribner, 1861; rpt. Cleve- 1. , 107. 15. , 83. land: Pilgrim Press, 199), 10. 16. For a full accounting, see H. Shelton Smith, Changing Conceptions of Original Sin (New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1955); Peter Slater, Children in the New England Mind (Hamden, CT: Archon Books, 1977).
17. , The Child in Christian Thought (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 18. Margaret Lamberts Bendroth, “Children of Adam, Children of God: Christian 2001). Nurture in Early Nineteenth-Century America,” Theology Today 56, no. (2000): 95–505; Margaret Bendroth, Growing Up Protestant: Parents, Children, and Mainline Churches (New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 2002); Marcia J. Bunge, “Children, the Church, and the Domestic Church: Supporting Parents in the Task of Nurturing the Moral and Spiritual Lives of Children,” New Theology Review: An IN T RODUC T ION 23 American Catholic Journal of Ministry 1, no.